|Total Rice||123 (113, 110, 100)|
|Total Water||167 (154, 147, 147)|
|Strengths||Cutting (-65%), Blunt (-75%), Piercing (-25%)|
|Prerequisite||Berserker used Lycanthropy.|
|Passive||Alpha Wolf: Wolves found in the wild will regard the Werewolf as the Alpha Wolf and follow him wherever he goes. Regeneration: The unit can naturally heal to full health and does so slightly faster than normal.|
|"Swords are the fangs of men, but fangs are the swords of Gods."|
The Werewolf is a unit of the Wolf Clan.
The Werewolf is no longer human. Clad only in fur, rarely speaking the tongues of men, he lives apart from the rest of the Clan. Even veteran Pack Masters keep their distance from him. The reason is simple: a Werewolf does not embody the loyal, dependable spirit of the pack member, but rather the ravenous essence of the alpha wolf. Wolves who meet him in the wild recognize this terrible authority and instantly submit to his rule. Both innocent and guilty must beware the whims of this stalker; it is in his nature to kill the weak, and most mortals seem tempting and delicious prey indeed.
Though vicious, these ex-Berserkers remember their human pasts, and rarely harm those of their own Clan. However, they hate outsiders with feral intensity, and recognize no difference between war and peacetime except that the former brings more prey to their hunting grounds. No Werewolf has ever given quarter or recognized an enemy's surrender. They fight only to kill, and will not be denied their victory feasts.
|Can be granted by Druidess' Blessing.|
|Should a Werewolf grow lonely for the company of men, he may choose to transfer his curse of lycanthropy to his prey, becoming a Berserker once more. His helpless enemy is trapped in the body of an ordinary wolf. There is no cure, and he is eventually ripped apart by the conflict between his soul and body.|
Werewolves are powerful melee units with high Health, decent attack damage, high speed, and good resistances against Cutting and Blunt, which are very common melee damage types, and Werewolves are only weak against Fire, which is less common and most Fire-types attack deal little damage, making the Werewolves excellent units for soaking up melee damages while other Wolf units move in for the kill.
The most common and effective tactic for werewolves is "Hit & Run", provided werewolves have already obtained the Wolf Bite battle gear. Due to werewolves' resistances, speed and health + stamina regeneration, they're able to kill a couple of enemy units and get away without any losses, just to strike again soon. If werewolves decide to fight in melee, it is very effective to support them with Ballistaman's Totem, improving their damage and slowing down their prey.
Werewolves' Alpha Wolf Innate is also useful: Any single Werewolf can obtain up to two wild wolves, thus allowing other Wolf units to get wolves from Wolves' Den, resulting in more wolves on the battlefield. If other Wolf fighters die (say a dead Packmaster theoretically with 3 wolves alive), their masterless wolves will follow the werewolves instead of idling during the fight. Werewolves' battle gear Wolf Bite, if timed right so that the Werewolf kills his target, will immediately turn the bitten target into a wolf, who will follow the Werewolf upon first sight and fight alongside him against the Wolf Clan's enemies before dying a slow & painful death afterwards.
On the flip side, Werewolves are expensive and difficult to obtain. Wolf players need to obtain Druidess' Blessings and mass Berserkers, costing a lot of resources and time (this problem is somewhat lessened after Grooming and Forest Blessing shall've been researched). Werewolves take full damage from Explosive and Magic attacks, some of which can be quite powerful (e.g. Spirit Warriors' sword attacks, Master Warlock's Soul Thresher, Unclean's Glut of Corruption, Musketeer's Gunfire, etc.).
- "(Howling voices)"
- "(Howling voices)"
- "More hunt"
- The Wolf Bite battle gear is supposed to have its own sound, which can be found in the game archives, but for some reason it has the same sound as the Lycanthropy of Berserker.
- As Piercing damage is unique and only very few units resist it, and almost all of them are heroes, this increases the Werewolf's offensive potential to a certain extent, since many units resist the Berserker's Cutting attacks; Also, Piercing attacks deal extra damage against horses. Fast attack rate paired with Werewolves' melee damage tears absolutely every unit (not ZM) in the game in no time, provided Werewolves are in packs. The possibility of their damage upgrade + usage of their battle gear and wild wolves make Werewolves an almost unstoppable force.
- Wolf Bite doesn't work, if used on Zen Masters, including monks, ninjas, spirit wolves. It also doesn't work, if used on enemy werewolves.
- Hostless wolves, both wild and the ones, that lost their previous owners, will immediately follow werewolves on sight due to their innate ability.
- In the early Battle Realms builds the werewolves were gray.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 When Grooming in Combat Pit is researched.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 When Forest Blessing in Vitality Garden is researched and used Druidess' blessing on Berserker.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 When both of them above are applied.
|Battle Realms Units|
|Peasants||Dragon • Serpent • Lotus • Wolf • Golem|
|Dragon||Tier I||Spearman • Archer • Chemist • Geisha • Guardian|
|Tier II & III||Dragon Warrior • Kabuki Warrior • Powder Keg Cannoneer • Battle Maiden • Samurai|
|Serpent||Tier I||Swordsman • Crossbowman • Musketeer • Fan Geisha • Enforcer|
|Tier II & III||Bandit • Raider • Cannoneer • Witch (Demoness) • Ronin|
|Lotus||Tier I||Blade Acolyte • Leaf Disciple • Staff Adept • Channeler • Reaper|
|Tier II, III, IV||Unclean One • Infested One • Diseased One • Overseer • Warlock • Master Warlock|
|Wolf||Tier I||Brawler • Hurler • Mauler • Druidess • Pack Master • Digger|
|Tier II, III, IV||Ballistaman • Sledger • Pitch Slinger • Dryad • Berserker • Werewolf|
|Summoned Units||Keep||Monk • Ninja|
|Summoned||Spirit Warrior • Zombie • Shambler • Wolf • Spirit Wolf|
|Neutral Units||Horse • Wolf • Hordeling • Shale Spider|